The distributed version control system Git has become a popular option among the development community. (If you are new to the git version control system please read the article : getting started with Git version control system)
This article compares the popular free Git service provides based on the features they provide.
Public Vs. Private Repos:
- Public projects can be accessed (view, download or cloned) without authentication by simply accessing the repository over HTTPS.
- Private projects can only be accessed (view, download or cloned) by members who have granted the permissions.
Large file support (LFS) Maximum capacity:
- Features to manage large files in the reposity and the maximum file size limits. (Read more on how to use LFS in your Git repository.)
CI/CD (Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery)
- Ability to automatically run integration tasks when the project is updated. (Read more on this under CI CD article)
- A software tool to list and visualise project related tasks including features and to-do items that will be followed during the project workflow. (Read more on Kanban and Scrum boards)
- Used to maintain the project documentation.
Project Management Tools:
- Set of software tools to manage the workflow by managing project resources and workflows.